Friday, December 09, 2005
Famous Jews You Didn't Know Are Jewish
1. Lillian Friedman married Cruz Rivera. They named their baby Geraldo
Miguel Rivera.( Funny, it doesn't sound Jewish....) Since, according to
Jewish law, anyone born to a Jewish mother is Jewish, Geraldo Rivera is Jewish. As were, among others: Fiorella Laguardia, Winston Churchill and Cary Grant, as explained below.
2. Fiorella Laguardia's mother's name was Jacobson. His father was not Jewish. Laguardia spoke seven languages - including Hebrew and Yiddish - fluently.
3. Winston Churchill's mother's name was Jenny Jerome. Sorry this looks wrong as well-Racists made up the claim that Leonard Jerome was born Leonad Jacobson and changed his name. Even Wikipedia which is hardly the best source for perfect information notes the following:"Leonard Jerome was the son of Isaac Jerome and Aurora Murray.""Some anti-semitic publications have unscrupulously claimed that Leonard Jerome was born Leonard Jacobson and changed his name to Jerome. In fact the Jerome name dates back to Timothy Jerome a Huguenot." On another side note i am glad he is not Jewish since a friend of mine that has done workings in with in the private sector says he is a little bitch.
4. Cary Grant's mother, Elsie, was Jewish. His father, Elias Leach, was not. Grant's original name was Archibald Alexander Leach. (Robin Leach is his first cousin). This one could go either way..check out this site if you care: http://www.adherents.com/people/pg/Cary_Grant.html
5. Peter Sellers' mother, Margaret Marks, was Jewish. His father, Bill Sellers, was Protestant. Peter's real name is Richard Henry Sellers.
6. David Bowie's mother is Jewish, his father is not. One of Bowie 's album covers discusses his Jewish ancestry. His real name: David Stenton Haywood-Jones. David Bowie has before claimed to being up to half Jewish, and this was usually around the 1976 time frame when he was defending himself against being called a racist after his infamous 'nazi salute'. However, Bowie was not raised Jewish at all. He is, at the most, quarter Jewish and on his mother's side.
7. Robert DeNiro's mother is Jewish; his father is not. The all knowing "Wik" says otherwise: De Niro was born in New York City, the son of Virginia (née Admiral), a painter, and Robert De Niro, Sr., an abstract expressionist painter and sculptor. De Niro's father was a lapsed Catholic of Italian and Irish descent and his mother a Presbyterian-raised atheist of German, Dutch and French descent.
8. Shari Belafonte's mother is Jewish. Her father, Harry, has a Jewish grandfather.
9. Olivia Newton-John's Jewish grandfather was a Nobel Prize winning
10. Harrison Ford's mother is Russian-Jewish, his father is Irish-Catholic.
ALWAYS GOOD TO KNOW AND REMEMBER!
Fact: The first theatre to be used solely for the showing of motion pictures was built by a Jew (Adolf Zukor).
Fact: The first full-length sound picture, The Jazz Singer was produced by the Jewish Samuel L. Goldwyn & Louis B. Mayer (MGM).
Fact: A Jew (Dr. Abraham Waksman) coined the term antibiotics.
Fact: A Polish Jew (Casimir Funk) who pioneered a new field of medical research gave us a word now common in our language - vitamins.
Fact: The first successful operation for appendicitis was performed by a Jewish surgeon (Dr. Simon Baruch)
Fact: The doctor (Dr. Abraham Jacobi) hailed as America 's father of
pediatrics was a Jew.
Fact: Until a Jewish doctor (Dr. Siccary) showed differently, Americans believed the tomato was poisonous.
Fact: Jewish Levi "Levi's" Strauss (inventor of jeans) is the largest
clothing retailer in the world.
Fact: In 1909, four Jews were among the 60 multi-cultural signers of the call to the National Action, which resulted in the creation of the NAACP.
Fact: A Jew (Emile Berliner) is the man who developed the modern-day phonograph. While Thomas Edison was working out a type of phonograph that used a cylinder as a record, Berliner invented a machine that would play a disc. The machine he patented was called the gramophone, and the famous RCA trademark is a picture of a dog listening to "his master's voice" on Berliner's device. The gramaphone was superior to Edison 's machine. In short, Emile Berliner made possible the modern record industry. His company was eventually absorbed by the Victor Talking Machine Company, now known as
Fact: Jewish Louis B. Mayer (MGM) created the idea for the Oscar.
Fact: European Jews are the founding fathers of all the Hollywood Studios.
Fact: Jews comprise a mere 1/4 of 1% (13 million) of the population (6 billion).
Fact: 99% of the world is non Jewish.
Fact: Three of greatest & most influential thinkers dominating the 20th century were Jewish - Einstein, Freud, Marx.
Fact: The most popular selling Christmas song ("White Christmas") was written by a Jew (Irving Berlin)
Fact: Of the 660 Nobel prizes from 1901-1990, 160 have been won by Jews. In the end, Jews win more Nobel prizes than any other ethnicity. They win 40x more than should be expected of them, based upon their small population numbers.
Fact: A Jew (Dr. Jonas Salk) is the creator of the first Polio Vaccine.
Fact: Jews (Hayam Solomon & Isaac Moses) are responsible for creating the first modern-banking institutions.
Fact: Jews also created the first department stores of the 19th century: The Altmans, Gimbels, Kaufmanns, Lazaruses, Magnins, Mays, Strausses became leaders of major department stores. Julius Rosenwald revolutionized the way Americans purchased goods by improving Sears Roebuck's mail order merchandising. Hart, Schaffner, Marx, Kuppenheimer and Levi Strauss became household names in mens' clothing. (Let's not forget EJ Korvets - Eight Jewish Korean (war) Veterans.)
Fact: Jewish Marc Chagall (born Segal , Russia ) is one of the great 20th century painters.
Fact: English-Jewish financiers such as Isaac Goldsmid, Nathan Rothschild, David Salomons, and Moses Montefiore, whose fortunes helped England become an empire.
Fact: In 1918, Detroit , a Jew (Max Goldberg) opened the "first" commercial parking lot.
Fact: In 1910, a Jew (Louis Blaustein) and his son opened the "first" gas station, eventually founding AMOCO OIL. One of the richest oil families in the world.
Fact: A Jew (Dr. Albert Sabin) developed the first "oral polio vaccine."
Fact: A Jew (Steven Spielberg) is the most successful filmmaker since the advent of film.
Fact: A Jewish poet's (Emma Lazarus) famous poem, "give me your tired ... your poor... your huddled masses," appears as the inscription on the Statue Of Liberty.
Fact: Jewish Harry Houdini (Weiss) is the father of Magic/Illusion.
Fact: Dr. Sigmund Freud (Jew) is the father of psychiatry.
Fact: Jewish Abraham is the father of the world's 3 major religions:
Judaism, Christianity & Islam (ancestors of the Hebrew & Arabic peoples). Jesus (formerly known as "sweet Jewish Jesus") is still worshipped by billions.
Fact: Jews are the oldest of any people on earth still around with their national identity and cultural heritage intact.
Fact: George & Ira Gershwin & Irving Berlin (Jews) are three of the most prolific composers of the 20th century
Fact: Isadore & Nathan Straus (Jews) - "Abraham & Straus," eventually became sole owners of Macy's (world's largest department store) in 1896.
Fact: Dr. Paul "magic bullet" Ehrlich (Jew) - physician, Nobel Prize in 1908 for curing syphilis.
Fact: Armand Hammer (Jew) - "Arm & Hammer," physician & businessman who originated the largest trade between U.S. and Russia.
Fact: Louis Santanel (Jew) was the financier who provided the funds for Columbus ' voyage to America .
Fact: Sherry Lansing (Jew) of Paramount Pictures, became the first woman president of a major Hollywood studio.
Fact: Flo Zigfield (Jew) of "Zigfield Follies," is the creator of American
So, my family and friends, stand tall and be proud. (or at least stand up and be counted!!)